· As PLAY provides an excellent vehicle for children’s learning process, Pumpkin House has facilitated the children with a good and conducive outdoor environment for the above purpose. Through our program “Outdoor Play”, children has the opportunity to move and play around, thus curiosity and exploration have evoked. There are two fundamental reasons why outdoor play is critical for young children in our early childhood programmes. First, many of the developmental tasks that children must achieve – exploring, risk-taking, fine and gross motor development and the absorption of vast amounts of basic knowledge – can be most effectively learned through outdoor play. Second, our culture is taking outdoor play away from young children through excessive TV and computer use, unsafe neighbourhoods, busy and tired parents, educational accountability, elimination of school recess, and academic standards that push more and more developmentally inappropriate academics into our early childhood programmes, thus taking time away from play.
Importance of OUTDOOR PLAY:
- Physical exercise
- Enjoyment of the outdoors
- Learning about the world
- Learning about self and the environment
- Release pent-up energy that has collected over the time (Surplus-Energy Theory)
- Allowing children to be children
· In our “Thematic Program”, multiple intelligences is applied- words (linguistic intelligence), numbers or logic (logical-mathematical intelligence), pictures (spatial intelligence), music (musical intelligence), self-reflection (intrapersonal intelligence), a physical experience (bodily-kinesthetic intelligence), a social experience (interpersonal intelligence) and an experience in the natural world. (naturalist intelligence). Our curriculum is planned is such that it enables to accommodate all different learning styles of children to provide an effective learning. A “theme” or topic will be given to the class to facilitate the children with the information of the related topic. Each theme is designed with various supportive activities to enhance learning.
“Learning Corner” is designed based on the children’s needs of Multiple Intelligences. Each corner is equipped with variety of learning and playing tools that will attract children in learning and growing their skills and intelligences. The corners are Art Corner, Blocks Corner, Writing & Listening Corner, Role Play Corner, Math & Science Corner and Music Corner.
· “Scribbles” method is incorporated into our “Studio Time.” During this program, children will be exposed to variety of materials. They are given an opportunity to explore, experiment and manipulate with the materials and thus to express their ideas. Learning process in this part is important to foster creative process.